Council committees are created under the Community Charter to provide an opportunity for members of the public to work collaboratively and provide advice on matters referred to them by the Council through their Terms of Reference.
Current Active Committees
The purpose of the Attraction and Retention Committee is to have a dedicated body that will focus on the attraction and retention of working professionals in the District of Vanderhoof.
This Committee shall:
- collaborate with segments of the various industries within the community to create an attraction video(s) of Vanderhoof and its resources to encourage the retention of professionals;
- promote the permanent livability of Vanderhoof to industrial workers;
- advocate for effective Broadband connectivity in Vanderhoof;
- strengthen stakeholder and industry partnerships to promote a better Vanderhoof;
- To explore new opportunities for growth and untapped markets for the potential of attracting new residents outside of employment;
- To develop a marketing “attraction” package for company/ stakeholder usage to aid in own recruitment with benefits to living and working in Vanderhoof
The Environment Committee will stay informed of environmental activities including, but not limited to, airshed and air quality, the Nechako watershed, solid waste and recycling, and brownfields impacts in Vanderhoof.This Committee shall:
- the protection, conservation, and enhancement of airshed in Vanderhoof in accordance with the British Columbia provincial air quality standard PM 2.5;
- the preservation and enhancement of the Nechako watershed;
- innovative solutions and advocacy regarding brownfields in Vanderhoof;
- the management, and where necessary, improvement of solid waste and recycling in Vanderhoof.
The Housing Committee shall be active advocates for and involved in pursing housing opportunities and development within the District of Vanderhoof. This Committee shall:
- review and advice Council on the viability and implementation of the recommendations adopted in the 2020 District of Vanderhoof Housing Needs Assessment Report;
- develop a housing strategy for various housing opportunities within Vanderhoof;
- review the viability of objectives and policies adopted in the District of Vanderhoof Official Community Plan 1229, 2020 regarding growth management and infrastructure phasing strategy.
The Revitalization Committee will actively engage in the revitalization of prime locations including, but not limited to, the Highway 16 Corridor, downtown core, parks, open spaces, and streets within the municipal boundary.This Committee shall:
- engage with business owners including, but not limited to, those along the Highway 16 Corridor to better understand revitalization from the perspective of business-owners and their customers;
- develop a revitalization strategy to promote and implement initiatives focused on the beautification and safety of the Highway 16 Corridor;
- review and recommend revitalization initiatives of District-owned and District-leased dilapidated and unoccupied infrastructures and lands along the Highway 16 Corridor;
- promote the beautification and revitalization of other locations within the municipal boundary including the downtown core, parks, open spaces, and streets or as identified by the Committee or Council.
The purpose of the Tourism Committee is to have a dedicated body that will provide advice to the Council and establish, through a panel of representatives from stakeholders in the community, a path to achieve greater tourism prosperity for the District of Vanderhoof.
This Committee shall:
- Develop and implement a Tourism plan, Tourism Package, and employment package to attract visitors and potential new residents for the District;
- To identify and provide recommendations on opportunities that will improve tourism services and serve as support for Vanderhoof and Area Tourism Services;
- Work cooperatively to develop Vanderhoof as a tourism destination through collaboration between the committee, local Tourism sector, Regional Tourism Advisory and Regional Economic Development Advisory Committees, Vanderhoof Visitor Centre, surrounding municipalities and the Saik’uz First Nation;
- Create an attractive investment environment for all tourism stakeholders;
- Promote the District and attract tourism businesses, investment, and visitors;
Interested in participating in a committee?
We encourage residents to participate in committees on subject matters they are passionate about. Please fill out an application form to be added to our Committee Member Index. While we may not have space for new committee members at this time, we will keep your information on file in case there is a vacancy.
When the need arises, the Mayor’s office will ask for community members to join a task force, a group that works together for a set amount of time to work on a single defined task or issue.
There are no Task Forces at this time.
Interested in applying for the Task Force?
Please fill out the form below with all required information, and click submit to complete your application. The Deputy Corporate Officer will be in touch on the status of your application.